The runny yolks of the poached eggs become the ultimate sauce when paired with cheesy, pan-fried potato patties.
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 green onions
- 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- Heat a large skillet of water and vinegar to a simmer over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, thinly slice the green onions. Set half aside for garnish.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining green onions with the mashed potatoes, Cheddar, garlic, 1 egg, and flour. Season with salt (in moderation) and pepper. Mix until well combined. Form into four ½-inch-thick patties.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat until foaming. Cook the cakes for 3 min. per side, until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Meanwhile, gently crack the remaining 4 eggs, one at a time, into the simmering water and cook for 3 min., until whites are set, gently stirring to keep whites from spreading. With a slotted spoon, remove each egg from the water, blot on paper towels, and place on potato cakes. Garnish with reserved green onions.
Sunday prep steps:
- Thinly slice 1 green onion.
- Combine sliced green onion with mashed potatoes, Cheddar, garlic, 1 egg, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Form into four ½-inch-thick patties.
15 min. before serving:
- Heat large skillet of water and vinegar to a simmer on medium-high.
In another large skillet, cook potato cakes in butter on medium 8 min., until golden brown on both sides and warm in centers. Transfer to plate. Slice remaining green onion. Add remaining 4 eggs, one at a time, to simmering water and cook 3 min. Serve eggs on potato cakes. Garnish with green onions.
- Thanksgiving leftovers
- November 2017
- Calories 347kcal 17%
- Fat 20.9g 32%
- Saturated fat 9.8g 49%
- Carbs 21.9g 7%
- Sodium 386mg 16%
- 1.4g sugar
- 1.4g fiber
- 17.0g protein
- 347mg cholesterol
What is Guiding Stars?