The tang of rhubarb plus a kick of ginger offer a new twist on a classic dessert.
- 1 lb rhubarb
- ¼ cup crystallized ginger
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 (16 oz) pkg strawberries
- 5 vanilla meringue cookies
- ½ (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Trim the rhubarb and thinly slice. Finely chop the crystallized ginger. In a medium pot, combine rhubarb, ginger, sugar, and 3 tbsp water. Cook 10 min., stirring often, until rhubarb is tender. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, trim and quarter the strawberries. Coarsely crush the meringue cookies.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese, confectioners sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon until smooth. Add heavy cream and beat 1–2 min., until stiff peaks form.
- Divide half the rhubarb among 6 short glasses and top with half the whipped cream mixture. Divide half the strawberries and half the crushed cookies among the glasses. Repeat layering, finishing with the cookies.
Coat kitchen shears with cooking spray and use to snip the sticky crystallized ginger into small bits.
- gluten free
- April 2018