There’s no need to simmer homemade marinara all day for authentic flavor. With good-quality canned tomatoes and olive oil, you’ll have pasta sauce fit for mamma in no time!
- 1 large onion
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 large sprigs fresh basil
- 3 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, cut up
- Finely chop the onion. In a large saucepot, heat the oil on medium. Add onion and season with salt. Cook 6 min., until golden, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the garlic and add to pot. Cook 1 min., stirring.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, bay leaves, and sugar. Heat to a simmer on high. Reduce heat to medium-low. Partially cover pot and simmer 18 min., stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves and basil sprigs. Stir in the butter until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- September 2018