This large meringue is just as beautiful as it is tasty. The whipped cream, pistachios, and fresh fruit help keep this dessert from veering too sweet.
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream, cold
- 2 (6 oz) containers raspberries
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Mint leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment. Trace a 10-inch circle onto parchment, then turn sheet over.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 1¼ cups sugar. Whisk in the vinegar, cornstarch, and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer meringue to a large piping bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe twenty 3½ -inch-long oval mounds in a circle using traced circle as a guide. With back of spoon, create channel around the circle through the mounds.
- Bake 1 hour, until dry to touch. Turn off oven and leave pavlova inside, propping oven door open slightly with wooden spoon. Let stand 1 hour. Transfer to a large serving platter or board.
- When ready to serve, chop the pistachios. With a hand mixer or stand mixer, whisk the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining ¼ cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Spoon whipped cream into channel. Arrange the raspberries over whipped cream. Sprinkle the pomegranate seeds and pistachios on top. Garnish with mint leaves.
- December 2018