Bold flavors like smoky bacon, tart lemon, and sweet apple transform coleslaw from a simple side into a main attraction.
- ½ small red onion
- 1 medium red cabbage
- 1 small red apple
- ¾ cup chunky blue cheese dressing
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Thinly slice the red onion. Soak in a small bowl of ice water 15 min.
- Meanwhile, core and thinly slice the red cabbage and apple. Add both to a large bowl along with the dressing and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss until well combined.
- Rinse and drain onion well and pat dry with paper towel. Add to cabbage and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate. When ready to serve, crumble the bacon and gently fold into slaw along with the blue cheese crumbles.
A quick soak and rinse in cold water takes the edge off chopped raw onions.
- June 2019
- Celebrations Made Easy Cookbook