Cozy up in the kitchen with this delectable soup that’s vegetarian-friendly. Pumpkin seeds add crunch and protein.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 qt vegetable broth
- ¼ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 4 multigrain rolls
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Trim and peel the butternut squash. Halve the squash and, with spoon, remove seeds. Cut squash into 1-inch chunks.
- Peel and cut the onion into 8 wedges. Peel the garlic. Stem the jalapeño and cut into 3 pieces.
- On a large baking sheet, toss butternut squash, onion, garlic, and jalapeño with the oil, cumin, and paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Roast 20–25 min., until squash is tender, stirring twice.
- In a large pot, combine the roasted vegetables with the broth. Heat to a simmer on high. Reduce heat and simmer 5 min. more. With immersion blender, purée soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide among 4 bowls and garnish with the pepitas. Serve with the rolls.
- In Season
- October 2019
- Guiding Stars