Hearty lentils sub for meat in this vegetarian comfort-food classic that gets a golden top from a sprinkling of cheese.
- 1 ½ lbs russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 oz) can cooked lentils, drained
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, and peas), thawed
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup reduced-fat milk
- ¼ cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large pot, combine the potatoes and enough water to cover by an inch. Season with salt and heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat and simmer 15 min., until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium-high and add the onions. Cook 5–6 min., until golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in the lentils, mixed vegetables, and thyme. Cook 2 min., until mixed vegetables warm.
- Sprinkle with the flour and cook 1 min., stirring often. Stir in the vegetable broth, scraping up any browned bits. Heat to a boil on high and cook 2–3 min., until gravy is thickened. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat broiler. When potatoes are drained, return to the pot. To pot, add remaining 2 tbsp oil and milk. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer lentil mixture to a broiler-proof 2-qt baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 3–5 min., until top is golden.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Guiding Stars
- January 2020
- Egg Free