Mozzarella and Parmesan bring loads of flavor and help turn zucchini into this crispy, kid-friendly side dish or after-school snack. Keep them stashed in the freezer for tots anytime.
- Cooking spray
- 2 medium zucchini (about 12 oz)
- ¾ salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- Ketchup, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment. Coat parchment with cooking spray.
- Coarsely grate the zucchini on a box grater to get 4 cups and add to a medium bowl with the salt. Toss to combine and let stand 20 min. for zucchini to release juices. Transfer zucchini to a clean dish towel or cheesecloth and squeeze out excess liquid.
- To a large bowl, add grated zucchini along with the eggs, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and bread crumbs. Season with pepper and mix to combine.
- By the tablespoon, scoop and form mixture into small nuggets and place on prepared pan. Freeze 10 min.
- Coat tops of tots with cooking spray. Bake 15 min., until well browned and crisp. Serve immediately with the ketchup.
Make these ahead through Step 4 and keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. Without thawing, bake as directed in Step 5.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- September 2020