There’s nothing better than surf and turf on Valentine’s Day, and this flavor-packed smothered steak with Cajun shrimp sauce is perfect for date night.
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup quick grits
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 (10 oz) pkg Nature's Promise® organic grass-fed beef strip steak
- 2 tsp sodium-free Cajun spice seasoning, divided
- ½ (12 oz) pkg Nature's Promise® Raw Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth or white wine
- ¾ cup crushed tomatoes
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- In a medium pot, bring the water to a boil on high. Whisk in the grits and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook 5–7 min., until grits have thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in the butter and Parmesan, mixing until butter is melted. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a 12-inch skillet on medium-high. Season steak generously with salt, pepper, and 1 tsp Cajun seasoning. Add steak to skillet and sear 4 min. per side, until golden, cooking to desired level of doneness. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to skillet and heat on medium-high. Add shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 3–4 min., until just pink, stirring constantly. Transfer shrimp to a bowl.
- To skillet, add chicken broth and deglaze pan, scraping up brown bits with wooden spoon. Add the tomatoes, heavy cream, and remaining 1 tsp Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 1–2 min., until thickened. To sauce, stir in lemon juice and parsley. Return shrimp to skillet. Spoon over steak and serve with grits.
This recipe is
- Raw food
- Galentine's Day
- Nut Free
- Date Night
- February March 2022
- Guiding Stars
- Surf and Turf
- Egg Free