These classic lemon bars get a tropical twist (and fantastic sunshine-yellow color) with the addition of fresh or frozen mango.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cups sugar, divided
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 lemons
- 1 ½ cups diced mango from 2 ripened mangoes or thawed, frozen mango
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, as needed
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 9x13-inch glass baking pan with parchment. To a medium bowl, add the melted butter, ½ cup sugar, almond extract, and ¼ tsp salt. Stir to combine. Add 1¼ cups flour and mix to combine. Press dough evenly into bottom of baking pan. Bake 20–25 min., until crust is golden and firm.
- Meanwhile, from the lemons, grate 1 tbsp zest and squeeze ½ cup juice. To a blender, add the mango, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Purée until smooth.
- To blender, add the eggs, vanilla extract, remaining ¾ cup sugar, remaining ½ cup flour, and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Purée until smooth. When crust is done, carefully remove baking dish from oven and pour mango-lemon mixture over crust. Bake 20–30 min., until filling is set.
- Let bars cool at room temperature at least 1 hour. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill 2 hours until completely cooled and set. Cut into squares or triangles and dust lightly with the confectioners’ sugar.
If using a metal pan, increase the oven temperature to 350°F and the second baking time to 30–40 min.
This recipe is
- In Season
- May 2022