Celebrate sweet summer corn with this easy vegetarian chowder that’s a cross between creamed corn and corn chowder. Enjoy it for lunch or dinner.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 8 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 large yellow potatoes (1 ½ lbs), peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup fat-free half and half
- Cilantro leaves
- Sliced green onions
- In a large pot over medium, melt together the butter and olive oil. Add the onion and cook 6–8 min., until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, carefully cut the kernels off the corn ears, leaving about ¼ inch of kernels. Into a small bowl, scrape cobs with back of the knife to get corn “milk.”
- To pot, add the garlic and jalapeño, if using, and cook 30 sec., until fragrant. Add the flour and stir to coat evenly. Cook 1–2 min. While whisking, add the broth. Add the potatoes, corn kernels, and corn “milk.” Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook 18–20 min., until potatoes are tender.
- Transfer half of soup to blender. Purée until smooth. Return mixture to pot and stir in the half & half. Heat 1–2 min., until warmed through and thickened slightly. To serve, top with the cilantro leaves and sliced green onions.
This recipe is
- Plant Forward
- Nut Free
- July August 2022
- Guiding Stars
- Egg Free