Skip all the potato peeling and grating by starting with frozen hash browns. This hack makes these traditional potato pancakes easy, so you can enjoy them on every night of Hanukkah. Turn up the volume on the classic sour cream and applesauce toppers with bagel-inspired sour cream and apple butter.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 (30 oz) pkg frozen hash browns, thawed
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly whisked
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp everything bagel seasoning
- ½ cup apple butter
- Using a box grater, grate the onion. Place the hash browns and grated onion in a kitchen towel or cheesecloth and squeeze to release all the excess liquid (there will be a lot). Transfer to a large bowl.
- To bowl, add the flour, salt, and eggs. Mix well. In a 12-inch high-walled skillet, heat 3 tbsp oil on medium-low. Drop ¼-cup mounds of potato mixture into the skillet. Cook 3–4 min. on one side, or until golden brown. Flip and cook 2 min. Transfer finished latkes to baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining potato mixture, adding more oil as needed.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream and everything bagel seasoning. Serve the apple butter and sour cream with the latkes.
To keep your finished latkes warm after frying, transfer them to a foil-lined baking sheet and place in a 250°F oven until ready to serve.
To make your own everything bagel seasoning, combine ¼ cup sesame seeds, 2 tbsp poppy seeds, 2 tbsp dried minced onion, 1 tsp coarse ground black pepper, and ¼ tsp coarse sea salt.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Wheat Free
- gluten free
- Guiding Stars
- Celebration Moments
- December 2022