A dollop of chipotle mayo gives these sweet latkes a spicy edge.
- 1 (14 oz) pkg cubed, fresh butternut squash
- ¼ cup prepared chipotle mayonnaise
- 1 yellow onion, halved and peeled
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- ½ cup canola oil
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the squash and onion until vegetables are finely ground. Transfer to a large bowl and mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add eggs and stir until well combined.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tbsp oil, then drop 6 small mounds of latke batter into the pan. Cook for 3 min. on one side, or until golden brown, then flip and cook for another 3. If the oil begins to spit, lower the heat. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil as needed.
- Transfer finished latkes to a baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain. Serve with chipotle mayo on the side.
- December 2016